day to day in the studio

Hello and welcome!

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Off we go to Piedmont Craftsmen

Group of clay wall birds going to Piedmont Craftsmen Gallery. Cathy Kiffney
I've just sent off a new group of ceramic wall birds to Piedmont Craftsmen Gallery in Winston-Salem, NC. These, plus a few extra will make their debut next week.
Rather than press texture into the wet clay, I've kept these smooth on the surface and used a variety of underglazes and glazes to concentrate on painting the surface. The flat surface works better for mark making. I am pretty happy with the way they turned out.
 I'm going back and forth with this. The last group I made has textures, all those nooks and crannies call out for a glaze that will meld down into the textures. But then I miss out on the mark-making fun!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...