day to day in the studio

Hello and welcome!

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Drawing and Painting on Clay

I'm getting back to my roots -- when I first started really working on the surfaces of my clay pieces I uses colored slips, stains and terra-sig. That was over 25 years ago. Over the years I developed my style of deep relief surfaces and began using more glazes. Although I continued to use colored slip and undercoatings and for some parts of the decorating, for the past few months I've been getting back to using the surface of the clay as a drawing surface, with very little carving. The work is becoming more pictorial and it is really challenging me to work in a different mode.  I'm not sure where I am going with it, but I will continue to explore this more.
Here are a few I'm working on now, unfired and not glazed yet.






3 comments:

  1. I love the way you have decorated these plates. Beautiful.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy these look great. Are you working at ^6? or is this low fire?
    I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, gals! Judy, these I will fire up to about cone 05 for the glaze, so low fire. I've been debating about using a mid temperature porcelain or stoneware (white) but I am reluctant to change everything right now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...